Good morning friends, happy Tuesday! Today I’ve got a variation on one of my winter staples- rice porridge! It’s such a hearty, delicious, indulgent and healthy way to start the day that I come back to it again and again. And this variation, made with forbidden rice, is no exception. It takes a bit of time to cook up but it’s worth every minute. I love it for a weekend breakfast, when the rain is running down the windows and the wind is whipping the trees around. A warm bowl of rice porridge feels so cozy. Hope you love! xx- Sarah
Forbidden Rice Breakfast Porridge
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 8 dates, pitted and chopped into tiny pieces
- sea salt
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- bee pollen
- Trader Joe's Super Seed & Ancient Grain Blend
- Rinse rice in a fine mesh colander until water runs clear.
- Place rice, dates, a pinch of sea salt and 1 can of coconut milk in a heavy, lidded pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add additional can of coconut milk and stir continuously until rice is thoroughly cooked and coconut milk has thickened.
- Spoon into bowls. Top with sliced bananas, broken pieces of frozen raspberries, bee pollen and Trader Joe's Seed + Grain blend.
Copyright A House in the Hills
A glorious way to wake-up!!
That looks so beautiful! It reminds me of acai bowls!
OMG, this looks amazing! Gotta give this recipe a try!
ALINA ERMILOVA | BLOG
Looks delicious, and with rice porridge…!
Hi Sarah – looks amazing! What is forbidden rice exactly? And do you know what grains / mix is in the seed/grain blend so I can try and find something similar here in the UK? THANKS, Jenny
Thanks Jenny! It’s a specific kind of grain (you can read more about it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/265623-black-rice-nutritional-information). You could use white sushi rice if you can’t find it in the UK (although it’s worth searching out if you can get your hands on it, it’s such a great color and so full of good nutrition. Let me know how it goes!! xx
Such a nice recipe! x
Mmmmm this sounds delicious! What exactly is forbidden rice? No matter what it is, I am definitely going to try this recipe out this weekend. It’s right up my alley!
Yay Sonja! Forbidden rice is also known as “black rice” and is full of nutrients! I lvoe the nutty texture and flavor of it, plus it’s purple which makes it extra fun. 🙂 you can read more about it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/265623-black-rice-nutritional-information/
looks delicious and healthy! I have to try it 🙂
This looks amazing and I think I need it… immediately! Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful recipe and beautiful pics! I also also those gold spoons!! Where are they from? xo