Hi friends! I meant to post a recipe today but we got rained in, so I’m going to save it for another day (I’m at the mercy of the weather with our outdoor kitchen these days!) But I’ve got something just as good for you! I know that you won’t all be able to join us in Fiji even though I really wish you could, so January and I are putting together some fun posts to keep those of you who can’t make the trip fit, healthy and happy! We’re starting with a quick circuit training routine that’s great for both beginners and seasoned fitness buffs- a speedy workout that EVERYONE can squeeze into the busiest of days! It’ll get your heart rate up and work some of your major muscle groups- so if you don’t have time to squeeze in a full workout at least you’ll have moved your body in the day! I’ve been loving interval training- it’s been the most effective exercise I’ve ever done for toning, building strength and increasing my endurance. Most of all I love that I don’t need to leave my house or have fancy equipment to do it. And I find that shorter, more intense workouts are easier to psyche myself up for. So for this workout I would do a 5 minute warm up walk, followed by a 5 minute jog, then into the exercises with laps around the block in between. See the exercises and instructions below. Have fun! xx Sarah (Outfit Sources: top, bottoms, sneakers)
Lunge with Knee Drive:
From standing, interlace fingers together and turn your palms forward away from your chest, holding the arms straight out at shoulder height.
1. Step back into a lunge with your right foot, dipping the back knee a few inches away from the ground.
2. Push off the right foot, stand tall, and bring your right knee up in front of you. At the same time, lift your arms overhead.
Repeat, 10 times, each leg.
Side Plank Reach
Holding a side plank, with bottom wrist directly under shoulder, have your top arm at your side. Put one foot in front of the other for stability.
1. Reach your top arm straight up and overhead, and lift your body an inch or so higher as you reach.
2. Bring arm back to your side as you lower the hips one inch to the beginning, neutral plank.
Repeat, 10 arm reaches each side.
(Drop to the bottom knee in plank to modify.)
Half-Burpee (without the push-up)
1. Drop through a low squat to bring your hands to the ground. Step or hop your feet back into a plank.
2. From plank, hop or step your feet back up to the hands, and from your squat, jump high into the air. As you land, bend the knees, and move right into repeating step 1…
Repeat 10 times through
Standing Quadricep Stretch
Lift your left foot behind you, and reach left hand back to grab the top of your foot. Gently pull your heel in toward your butt to feel the front of your thigh stretch. Hold your right arm high to practice balance! Hold for at least 30 seconds, and repeat on the other side.