A HOUSE IN THE HILLS HOME EC. /2

I’m so happy that you all loved last week’s Home Ec post so much, it’s so incredible for me when something I’ve worked really hard on and am super excited about is such a hit with you all as well!  After we tackled the cleaning products it was on to homemade soaps- grapefruit lavender and coconut mint to be exact!  These are just sooo pretty, fun and full of good-for-you ingredients, I’m a little smitten kitten.  They’re the perfect treat for your skin, your nose, your peace of mind. The best part- they are seriously crazy easy to make.  And wouldn’t they make the sweetest gifts wrapped up in linen and tied with baker’s twine?  They smell so good I want to eat them!  Ok, have at them!  xx- Sarah

Grapefruit Lavender Soap and Coconut Mint Soap

yields 7-8 bars of soap per 1 lb bag of shea butter

Ingredients + Supplies

zest of 1 grapefruit

1-2 tablespoons fresh lavender

3 tablespoons coconut flakes

8-10 chopped fresh sage leaves

15-20 drops peppermint essential oil

15-20 drops lavender essential oil

1lb bag shea butter

soap mold

Method for Soap Base

- Rinse soap molds to ensure they are free of any residue.  Let dry and place on baking sheet to make transporting them later easier.

- Check to make sure baking sheet fits in freezer, choose a smaller sheet if it doesn’t!

- Melt soap base according to package instructions (we used the shea butter listed above).

- For stove top melting use a double boiler system by filling a large pot with water and putting a smaller pot inside of it.

- Once water has boiled, place shea butter in smaller pot and turn heat to low/simmer.  Cover and heat.

- Stir every few minutes until shea butter is completely melted.

- While soap is melting gather grapefruit zest, lavender, chopped sage, coconut flakes, peppermint oil and lavender oil.

Method for Grapefruit + Lavender

- Once soap base has melted let sit for a couple of minutes.

- Pour out 1 cup of soap base into measuring cup.

- Add grapefruit zest, lavender and 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil to measuring cup, stirring frequently so ingredients don’t settle to the bottom.

- Pour into 3-4 soap molds.

- Use spatula to ensure even distribution of lavender and grapefruit zest.

- Rinse measuring cup.

Method for Coconut + Mint

- Pour remaining soap base into measuring cup and add coconut flakes, chopped sage leaves, and 15-20 drops of peppermint oil stirring frequently.

- Pour into 3-4 soap molds.

- Use spatula to ensure even distribution of coconut flakes and sage leaves.

- Let sit for 1 hour then place in freezer for 1 hour.

-Soaps should pop out of mold easily with use of a knife to cut around edges.

Notes

- Any heat resistant container can function as a soap mold.

- If using baking dish/tupperware as a soap mold you may need to spray with cooking oil or use a liner to ensure soap doesn’t stick to pan.

- Soap base is going to be hot and may burn, handle carefully!

- Coconut flakes and grapefruit zest will act as exfoliants.  If your prefer a smoother soap chop flakes and zest into smaller pieces.

- Wrap soaps in wax paper to help prevent sweating in humid environments.

1. Kate|

These would make the most lovely gifts! Wonderful suggestion about the linen wrap and tied up in baker's twine! I will have to give this a try one afternoon. This would be a great activity for my twelve year old daughter and me. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Abby|

I had a soap kit when I was little and I loved making them! These look and (probably smell) amazing!

3. Elle|

Which soap base do you use? After googling, could not find an all natural opaque base. Are you using clear gycerine and the shea butter makes it opaque? Thanks!

4. Nina|

They look beautiful and I'm sure they smell awesome! I'd loove to give them a try but there are a few things I don't get. In the list of ingredients, you're not talking about soap base. What is it exactly? Is it the shea butter? If not, what do you do with the shea butter once melted? Mix it with the aformentionned soap base? Thanks for your answers!

5. Kristyn W.|

Can you include a link or more information about the soap base?

Would love to make these!

6. sarah yates|

Hi everyone! Sorry for the confusion, the soap base we used is shea butter which is listed and linked to in the ingredients!

• Alicia|

Shea butter, is an oil. Not a melt and pour soap base. If you used shea butter you would have has to use lye and make a cold process soap. If you used s melt and pout shea butter base, that is not straight shea butter – which you linked too. These directions would make a sticky lotion bar (and barely that since ther eis no bees wax).

7. Ella|

Maybe I'm missing something. Is this just supposed to be a lotion bar? Shea butter is a base but it isn't soap. There isn't saponification in this process and no soap base to replace that.

8. sarah yates|

Hi Ella! Soap in its traditional sense is a by product of the chemical reactions between lye and lard. Since we avoided that I suppose these could be considered cleansing lotion bars instead. The lavender and peppermint oils contain anti fungal and anti bacterial properties, the shea butter moisturizes, the bits of ingredients act as exfoliants. They can be applied to the skin directly or used during washing to exfoliate, cleanse and moisturize. I consider them soap although I can see how there is confusion.

Many people are concerned about using lye directly because it is dangerous and can be irritating to the skin so we wanted to avoid that! Using lard seems unnecessary to me personally. And although melt and pour bases are an option to avoid directly using lye they most often contain dodgy ingredients–by only using shea and essential oils I'm so happy with having a soap that has ingredients that I love, that cleans, exfoliates, smells amazing, has antibacterial ingredients and is easy to make! Hope that clears up the confusion! :)

9. molly yeh|

ooh i love this! i need all the moisturizing things i can get in this never ending dry winter! i wonder if using almond oil would work. i am sucker for all things almond!

10. J.|

I think this is just adding stuff to shea butter. Would smell nice but you need to add a lye to oils to make soap. And it takes 6 weeks to dry out.

11. sarah|

After reading all these comments and clearing up any confusion (that I didn't have until I started reading the comments) I'm even more excited to try these 'cleansing lotion bars' my skin is SO dry that this would probably feel like a treat!

12. Ellie|

I love that this doesn't involve lye – I will definitely be able to do this Can I use the same double boiler I use in the kitchen – I mean will it clean up again for cooking use, or be only dedicated to soap? Don't have a lot of extra pots/pans, thought I'd ask first before using a good one.

13. Brigitte|

These are so pretty! My niece and I just made a batch of 2kinds. A lavender and tea tree oil and lemon zest and lavender bits one and a patchouli and tee tree oil and rosemary bits one. They both turned out great! I think you might be able to skip the lotion if you use these. So excited to try them out. Thanks for the inspiration, Sarah!