It took me five rounds of batter and failed crepes to get this recipe right, there were many a crepetastrophe! But in the end it was worth every bit of it, they’re so delicious and the perfect weekend brunch treat! Filled with chocolate hazelnut spread and bananas- they’re divine. I do have to warn you, getting the crepes perfectly thin in the pan takes a bit of practice. The trick, I found, involves moving the pan around to spread the batter as soon as you pour and using just the right amount of batter. Once you nail it though, I think you’re good for life. And then you have years of vegan, gluten free crepes in your future. And what a future it is!!! Enjoy! xx- Sarah
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE CREPES W/ CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD AND BANANAS
Yields approximately 6-8 crepes.
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup oat flour
3 tablespoons date sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons ground flax
2-3 large ripe bananas
– Combine 2 tablespoons of ground flax with 6 tablespoons of warm water in small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
– Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and flax egg mixture. Stir well.
– Refrigerate batter for one hour.
– Heat a 9 inch non-stick frying pan over low heat adding enough coconut oil to lightly coat the pan.
– Pour 1/2 cup of mix into pan at an angle, spreading batter out using circular spinning motion. If batter is too thick add additional water to mixture one tablespoon at a time.
– Cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes or until crepe is evenly browned and edges start to peel away from sides of pan.
– Gently flip in pan and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
– Repeat until all the batter is used up.
– Smear chocolate hazelnut spread in a strip on the center of the crepe and top with sliced bananas.
– Sprinkle with finishing salt, roll up, and use hazelnut spread to secure ends if needed.