I’m so happy that you all loved last week’s Home Ec post so much, it’s so incredible for me when something I’ve worked really hard on and am super excited about is such a hit with you all as well! After we tackled the cleaning products it was on to homemade soaps- grapefruit lavender and coconut mint to be exact! These are just sooo pretty, fun and full of good-for-you ingredients, I’m a little smitten kitten. They’re the perfect treat for your skin, your nose, your peace of mind. The best part- they are seriously crazy easy to make. And wouldn’t they make the sweetest gifts wrapped up in linen and tied with baker’s twine? They smell so good I want to eat them! Ok, have at them! xx- Sarah
Grapefruit Lavender Soap and Coconut Mint Soap
yields 7-8 bars of soap per 1 lb bag of shea butter
Ingredients + Supplies
zest of 1 grapefruit
1-2 tablespoons fresh lavender
3 tablespoons coconut flakes
8-10 chopped fresh sage leaves
15-20 drops peppermint essential oil
15-20 drops lavender essential oil
Method for Soap Base
– Rinse soap molds to ensure they are free of any residue. Let dry and place on baking sheet to make transporting them later easier.
– Check to make sure baking sheet fits in freezer, choose a smaller sheet if it doesn’t!
– Melt soap base according to package instructions (we used the shea butter listed above).
– For stove top melting use a double boiler system by filling a large pot with water and putting a smaller pot inside of it.
– Once water has boiled, place shea butter in smaller pot and turn heat to low/simmer. Cover and heat.
– Stir every few minutes until shea butter is completely melted.
– While soap is melting gather grapefruit zest, lavender, chopped sage, coconut flakes, peppermint oil and lavender oil.
Method for Grapefruit + Lavender
– Once soap base has melted let sit for a couple of minutes.
– Pour out 1 cup of soap base into measuring cup.
– Add grapefruit zest, lavender and 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil to measuring cup, stirring frequently so ingredients don’t settle to the bottom.
– Pour into 3-4 soap molds.
– Use spatula to ensure even distribution of lavender and grapefruit zest.
– Rinse measuring cup.
Method for Coconut + Mint
– Pour remaining soap base into measuring cup and add coconut flakes, chopped sage leaves, and 15-20 drops of peppermint oil stirring frequently.
– Pour into 3-4 soap molds.
– Use spatula to ensure even distribution of coconut flakes and sage leaves.
– Let sit for 1 hour then place in freezer for 1 hour.
-Soaps should pop out of mold easily with use of a knife to cut around edges.
– Any heat resistant container can function as a soap mold.
– If using baking dish/tupperware as a soap mold you may need to spray with cooking oil or use a liner to ensure soap doesn’t stick to pan.
– Soap base is going to be hot and may burn, handle carefully!
– Coconut flakes and grapefruit zest will act as exfoliants. If your prefer a smoother soap chop flakes and zest into smaller pieces.
– Wrap soaps in wax paper to help prevent sweating in humid environments.