I haven’t had a chance to write a health update post, although it’s on my short list! Without getting too much into it I’ve been doing some time on the AIP diet. It’s similar to the Gaps diet in many ways, and if I had done the stages of the GAPS diet I think it would’ve been equally effective. Unfortunately I suspect I have sensitivities to eggs and dairy, so being on full GAPS wasn’t serving me optimally. Man oh man the path to healing is definitely not linear, but I’m healthier than I’ve been since I received my Crohn’s diagnosis in 2011. BUT, like I said, I’ll go into this more soon! For now, I’m happy to be sharing a recipe I created to satisfy that comfort food craving for the times when pasta is not an option. Say hello to sweet potato noodles with bacon and chimichurri (I would not be mad if you threw in an avocado either!) This dish feels decidedly decadent, but it’s healthy and won’t leave you on the couch bingeing netflix and wishing you could take back that carb-fest! So that makes it pretty much perfect in my book! Be honest, have you ever met a bowl of noodles you didn’t love? I have yet to. I hope you enjoy! And if you have any favorite AIP recipes that you’d love to share I will kiss you, I’m getting so bored of my go-to’s!! xx- Sarah
- 1 medium/large sweet potato, peeled
- 4 pieces of uncured, sugar free bacon (we get ours from a local farmer whose practices align with our ideals- and you can taste the difference in high quality product!)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (more if needed)
- chimichurri (recipe here)
- Prepare chimichurri according to recipe linked above- this can be done in advance and will taste even better if it sits overnight!
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Use a spiralizer or veggie noodle making on the spaghetti setting to create a large bowl of noodles with the sweet potato.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay bacon strips on it.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until desired level of doneness is achieved (I'm looking at you crispy bacon lovers!)
- Heat a tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan, add noodles and saute´, stirring frequently, until soft.
- Add noodles to serving bowls, chop bacon and mix in, and finish with a few generous spoonfuls of chimichurri a sprinkle of maldon salt. Enjoy!