I’m totally having one of those weeks- the ones where you’re probably best served staying in bed! Yesterday morning I sat down at my computer with a glass of warm herbs from my acupuncturist (picture a tall glass of dirt water). As I was plugging in a card reader to download my photos from the shoot we did the night before I clumsily knocked over the cup of herbs and watched my entire desk become dirt water soup. Included in the natural disaster scene was my cell phone, keyboard and the two flash cards with all of the photos from our shoot. THANK GOD THEY WEREN’T WEDDING PHOTOS. AND THANK GOD FOR MY CAT LIKE REFLEXES. And while we’re at it THANK GOD I AM NOT A BRAIN SURGEON! I snatched the cards up before too much damage was done (85% of the photos were recovered!) and begrudgingly cleaned up the rest. And then I took the day off (kind of). Because that’s what you do, right, when your whole week is filled with one debacle after the next? I also ate a lot of ice cream since the recipe I’ve been working on for vegan, gluten free crepes has failed me FOUR TIMES. Rubbery crepes, blech! Ice cream. Cardamom ice cream with a cinnamon swirl. Vegan, free of refined sugar, as sweet and creamy as the real deal. That’s the answer! Happy weekend everyone! xx- Sarah
CARDAMOM ICE CREAM WITH CINNAMON SWIRL
Dairy + Gluten Free
2 cans coconut milk (full fat)
3 tablespoons date sugar
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
pecans for garnish (optional)
- In medium, heavy bottomed pot combine 2 cans of coconut milk, 3 tablespoons of date sugar, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom.
- Whisk continuously over low heat until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer ice cream mixture into a bowl and place in refrigerator for at least two hours or until very cold.
- Give mixture one last stir and add to ice-cream maker, follow your ice cream makers instructions to finish for soft serve ice cream.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup honey, 1 heaping tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Scoop 1/4 ice cream into container, drizzle cinnamon honey mixture over top and then cover with more ice cream. Repeat until all ice cream is in container.
- Cover ice-cream with wax paper (make sure it is touching the ice-cream) and place in freezer to set. Remove from freezer 5 minutes before serving.
* I prefer eating it straight out of the ice cream maker when it’s soft and creamy and perfectly amazing!
* Adjust sweetness according to your tastes- more or less date sugar in the mixture. But remember, the honey cinnamon swirl adds a LOT of sweetness!
* I really love the crunch that chopped pecans bring to this too!