Hello my friends! Today I have these delectable little potato, leek and mushroom cakelets for you! I have a deep love for the earthy pairing of potatoes and mushrooms. And these cakelets- they’re crispy, savory, super easy to make, and totally satisfying. We enjoyed ours with a giant salad and white wine. I highly recommend! Also, if you have leftovers- they’re amazing with an egg on top as a breakfast treat!!! Enjoy! xx- Sarah
- 9 small red potatoes, cleaned and quartered
- 1 small leek, thoroughly cleaned and finely chopped
- (1) 4oz package of mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster blend),cleaned and rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- scallions to garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add chopped potatoes and cook for 30 minutes or until easily punctured with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper, gently mash with Earth Balance, leaving chunks of potato.
- In a medium saute pan mix olive oil and leeks and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper and mushrooms to pan. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add leeks and mushrooms to the potatoes, mix gently to combine.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over low heat, coat well with olive oil.
- Form potato mixture into small cakes.
- Once oil is heated add cakelets to frying pan, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy.
- Serve hot and garnish with chopped scallions.