This is the kind of meal I throw together when I want something to warm me through on a cold winter night, that’s EASY to throw together and so, so satisfying! The pesto elevates the flavor, but it can definitely be enjoyed without. And served with a warm piece of sourdough, it’s just perfection! Winter soups, I love you. xx- Sarah
Hearty Vegetable Soup with Pesto
25 oz of peeled, diced plum tomatoes
1 medium onion,diced
2 cloves of pressed garlic
1 medium zucchini
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups of chopped red potatoes
2 cups of spinach
2 cups of butter beans (one can if buying pre-cooked)
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 t rosemary
3/4 t thyme
3/4 t oregano
3/4 t tarragon
3/4 t marjoram
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Optional : pesto to garnish (recipe here)
- In a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot combine onion, garlic and olive oil. Cook for two minutes over medium- low heat.
- Add carrots and sauté an additional three minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, 4 cups of water and all herbs. Simmer on medium low heat until the potatoes are just starting to soften.
- Add zucchini and cook for an additional two minutes, or until cooked.
- Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add beans and cook until warmed through.
- Add spinach and combine until wilted.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of pesto!