Now that we’re a couple of weeks into the holidays I find myself craving a meal or two that’s light, healthy, and refreshing. Something to counteract the cookies and heaps of sweets, so to speak. HA! In all seriousness though, this salad is the perfect restart when you’ve been indulging a bit too frequently for your liking and want to get back to healthy meals. Ot at least squeeze some nutrition in between the holiday parties! In creating it I wanted something that would remind my tongue that not everything has to be super sweet or majorly salty, that every meal doesn’t have to be decadent. That there’s beauty in the refreshing, the healthful, the simple. This salad does it for me, the perfect reminder. Have at it my friends, cheers to finding balance during the sweetest time of the year!!! xx- Sarah
- 1 medium ruby red grapefruit peeled, pith removed and torn into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup tri color quinoa
- 2 cups arugula micro greens
- 1/3 cup rough chopped roasted, salted almonds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (preferably raw)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Maldon salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer for 2-3 minutes. Place in a medium heavy bottomed pan and heat over medium, stirring frequently, until water is gone and quinoa is toasted.
- Add two cups of water to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest possible, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork (if water remains, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until water is gone).
- Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- To make dressing combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and honey. Mix well.
- To assemble salad, scoop quinoa onto a larger serving plate (or individual plates). Pile on arugula micro greens, almonds, grapefruit. Top with Maldon salt and heaps of fresh cracked pepper. Drizzle with dressing, to taste.