Hello my friends! The temperatures are dropping here in San Diego and I can feel the seasons shifting, although we’re certain to have at least a few more hot weeks before the year ends. My neighbor says we’re in the midst of the battle between summer and fall, which I love. For now I’m basking in the mild weather and thanking my lucky stars for a break in the sweltering. I’m also squeezing in the last of the summer treats before I dive back into roasting winter squashes and simmering soups for hours over the stove. I found some pink plums at the market the other day and decided they would be the perfect way to celebrate the change of season, so I roasted them with a nod to fall and then turned them into ice cream as a farewell to summer. And oh me oh my, I’m so happy I did! With a richness from roasting, the flavor of the plums is sweet but not overt; delicate but also somehow decadent. Or maybe it was the dark chocolate and the toasted coconut (which I strongly recommend as a topping) that brought about the decadence. Either way, this ice cream will not disappoint. I hope you love! xx- Sarah
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche
- 6 medium/large pink plums (I'm sure regular purple plums would also be delicious!)
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4- 1/2 cup raw honey
- dark chocolate, toasted coconut for topping (optional but highly recommended!)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Slice plums in half, remove pits. Place plums middle sides up in a small roasting pan (preferably one with sides to catch the juice once the plums are roasting)
- Place plums in oven and roast for 3-45 minutes, or until very well softened. Remove and let cool.
- In a blender combine the plums and creme fraiche. Blend at a high speed until completely combined.
- Add 1/4 cup of honey and taste. Add additional honey if you'd prefer a sweeter ice cream (the sweetness of the plums will vary so be flexible with the amount of honey and adjust to your preference!)
- Add egg and yolks and blend at a low speed until combined. Place mixture into the refrigerator for 2 hours. Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker and add the mixture as advised.
- Top with shaved dark chocolate and toasted coconut.