Hi friends, happy Saturday! As you may have seen here, we have a boatload of passion fruit coming from our vines right now and I’m looking for every way I can eat it. Which led me to trying this recipe for passion fruit curd- a divine creation I swear! I loved the recipe and the curd BUT it has a bit too heavy of a sugar load for my liking. I decided to try to substitute the sugar with raw honey which causes less blood sugar spikes, has more nutritional properties and is always my preferred choice of sweetener.
The thing is, to keep all of the benefits of raw honey you have to abstain from heating it. Which led me to modifying Martha’s recipe by heating the passion fruit juice and egg yolks but waiting until after I removed the mixture from the stovetop to add in the honey. This proved to be delicious, but instead of a thick gelatinous curd I was left with a thick, delicious sauce. If I understood more about the science of what happens in the curd making process this wouldn’t have come as a happy surprise, but since I’m fairly inexperienced in the art of cooking with sugar it was a total happy accident!! I’ve been drizzling the passion fruit sauce on my greek yogurt parfaits, honey sweetened creme fraiche ice cream (I need to share my recipe for that soon too!), piles of stone fruit, and pretty much anything else that I find that could use a touch of sweetness (I’ve got plans for it to hit my fish tacos soon but I’m not sure if that is actually a good thing or a weird pregnancy thing). All I know is it sounds questionably delicious to me so I have to try it!!! Ok, have at it my friends, recipe after the jump! xx- Sarah
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup organic grass fed greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1/2 peach
- Whisk together yolks and passion fruit juice in a heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat stirring continuously with the whisk until thickened.
- Remove saucepan from the stovetop and stir in the butter until fully melted. Add honey and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a medium sized bowl, and then transfer to mason jars to store.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- To serve, spoon yogurt into a bowl, sprinkle with granola, slice up a few peaches and drizzle the passion fruit sauce over the entire bowl. Enjoy!!!