One of the most important parts of staying healthy, for me, is hydration. I drink water like I’m in the Sahara- every day! So when Ocean Spray® introduced me to their PACt™ cranberry extract water I was excited for a new way to mix up my hydration game. Using the powerful nutrients found in cranberries, PACt cleanses and purifies the body better than water alone. And to celebrate the launch of PACt, Ocean Spray and Maria Menounos are hosting a beach bash on Thursday October 23rd in Hermosa Beach- complete with yoga, pilates, barre and various other complimentary fitness classes. Fun, right?! Register here to reserve your spot! And when you’re done working up a sweat on the beach, may I suggest these veggie sliders? They’re healthy, tasty and a perfect treat after a hard workout. Here’s to making as many healthy choices as we can! xx- Sarah This post was produced in collaboration with Ocean Spray. Thank you for supporting our sponsors!
- 1 beet
- 1 medium sweet potato (1 cup, cooked)
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 small portobello cap, diced
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 cup vegenaise
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi (more to taste)
- coconut oil
- sea salt
- micro greens
- 12 mini ciabatta buns
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub beets and wrap in tinfoil. Place on a baking sheet with sweet potato and roast for 45- 60 minutes, until beet is easily pierced and sweet potato is very soft.
- While veggies are roasting combine ground flax and six tablespoons of warm water. Place in refrigerator to set.
- Saute shallots in 3 tablespoons coconut oil over medium/low heat.
- When shallots are soft add portobello mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and cook until mushrooms are soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Combine shallot mixture, sweet potato (excluding the skin), finely chopped beet, corn, quinoa and flax mixture. Add 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt, more to taste. Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare wasabi mayonaise by combining vegenaise with wasabi. Adjust wasabi amount to your preference.
- Form veggie slider mixture into small patties to prepare for cooking.
- Generously coat a cast iron skillet or non stick pan with coconut oil. Heat over medium/low and when oil is heated, add patties to the pan for cooking. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Gently flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side, until browned.
- Serve sliders with wasabi mayo and micro greens on the mini ciabatta buns. Enjoy!
Because there are not eggs in this mixture, the patties can be a little fragile. Avoid a potential mess by making the patties a bit smaller than the buns so they have room to flatten out a bit when eating. And make sure they're well seared before flipping in the pan!