I bought a bag of shelled peas at the Farmers market and then agonized like a girl over a prom dress about the best way to eat them. Do you do that too or is it a special kind of crazy? There’s a limited selection of veggies in the desert so something like a bag of fresh peas can really send me over the edge and get my neurotic juices flowing! Mmmmm, but risotto with fresh peas- it was totally a happy dance in the kitchen moment when I had my first bite! If you’re in the market for an easy weeknight dinner that celebrates summer, well here you go, I made this for you. xx- Sarah
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup fresh english peas
- 5 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups vegetable stock (approximate)
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot sauté green onions in 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- After onions have softened and cooked down add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add arborio rice and salt to pot and cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add enough vegetable stock to cover rice and simmer over low heat stirring until the rice has absorbed the majority of the stock.
- Add additional stock and repeat until rice is nice and creamy and no stock remains. Continuos stirring is required and SO worth it for the creamy rice at the end!
- Add english peas to rice for last 2 minutes of cooking, tasting for doneness.
- Serve with fresh cracked pepper.