I’m sorry for the radio silence yesterday, I was having one of those days. But today I’m back on my feet and so excited for the third installment of Home Ec! I’ve got some homemade beauty products for you that I’ve been using for the past few weeks and absolutely love! I find the researching of ingredients on store bought products to be so incredibly tedious and confusing, but I also don’t want to lather up my largest organ with a bunch of stuff I can’t even pronounce. The research process can be overwhelming. SO, here we are, we’ve come up with some homemade solutions! This honey and lemon foaming face wash is a citrus-y dream to wake up to and the mango mint body scrub exfoliates, moisturizes and leaves skin soft as a baby’s you know what. You may be thinking, WHO HAS TIME FOR THIS?! Well my friend, you do. Because we’ve made it as easy as ordering a few things online, making a quick trip to the market for fresh ingredients and dedicating fifteen minutes in your kitchen. I promise, your skin will thank you! Recipes after the jump. xx- Sarah
LEMON AND HONEY FOAMING FACE WASH
Yields approximately one pint mason jar of face wash.
1 cup filtered or previously boiled (now room temperature) water
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
5 teaspoons jojoba oil
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon tea tree essential oil
15 drops lemon essential oil
mason jar (1 pint)
- Combine purified water, castile soap, jojoba oil, honey, tea tree oil and lemon essential oil (IN THAT ORDER) in mason jar, mixing gently but thoroughly.
- Prepare pump top if necessary by trimming to fit the jar (we had to cut about 1.5 inches off of ours). Screw securely onto top.
- Use foaming face wash 1-2 times daily and remember to shake before each use as ingredients may separate over time!
- Liquid Castile Soap- All-natural, extremely concentrated soap made from 100% plant oils.
- Jojoba Oil-has a low comedogenic rating, ie not likely to clog pores.
- Raw Honey- Antibacterial agent and helps to gently eliminate breakout causing bacteria–can also help calm irritated skin.
- Tea Tree Oil-All-natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti fungal agent that also helps preserve the face wash.
- Lemon Essential Oil-All natural-concentrated antibacterial agent, also aids in preserving the face wash.
LEMON MANGO MINT SCRUB (can be used on face and body)
Yields approximately 14-16oz of scrub
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1 mango
10-15 drops peppermint essential oil
1 (16oz) 16.9 oz latch jar
- Combine sugar, coconut oil, and olive oil in blender.
- Blend on low speed until mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Add mango zest, lemon juice, and peppermint essential oil and blend on low for an additional 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of blender and mix.
- Transfer scrub into an airtight container or jar.
- The scrub should keep for several months. If you are worried about juice spoiling keep scrub in refrigerator.
- Sugar – The benefits of a natural sugar scrub go beyond just cleansing skin – the healing, hydrating properties found in a sugar scrub are perfect for all skin types. Sugar scrubs can quickly help heal blemishes, absorb the dirt and oil from pores, and balance the natural oils in the skin.
- Olive Oil – The antioxidants in olive oil help repair skin damage, soothe and relieve chapped, itchy and cracked skin and help rebuild the skin’s moisture barrier to prevent further moisture loss from occurring.
- Lemon Juice – Is a natural astringent that also helps heal acne and remove blackheads. The citric acid in lemon juice will work to lighten dark spots and acne scars.
- Peppermint Oil – Has anti-inflammatory properties that will work to soothe red inflamed skin. Peppermint oil is also able to provide relief from stress and depression when absorbed through the skin and can greatly increase overall energy levels, alertness and mental clarity!
- Mango- The mango zest adds texture to the scrub and contributes to nourishing the skin through its natural properties.