aren’t black radishes amazing? i owe this entire post to them. they beckoned me at whole foods the other day, begging to be made into something beautiful. the salad itself is only four ingredients but is so yummy you’d think it was more complicated. and that, my friends, is just how i like it: fancy in appearance, simple in execution. and above all: delicious. recipe after the jump. i hope you like it too!
1 small/medium head of savoy cabbage
2 black radishes
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
sea salt and cracked black pepper
– if possible, make the dressing in advance by combining the olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup and the juice of two tangerines. add salt and pepper to taste. let sit until ready to serve the salad.
– slice cabbage in half and then slice halves into half moon pieces. transfer to medium serving bowl
– peel remaining 2 tangerines and add to sliced cabbage
– slice black radishes (very thinly if possible) and add to bowl
– mix in hazelnuts, dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste
– get fancy, serve it with your favorite sourdough or some homemade gazpacho! (which i should probably learn how to make because i’m seriously obsessed!)