There are so many diced chicken recipes you can try, from honey garlic chicken to chicken tikka masala, chicken soup, and teriyaki chicken. Whether you use boneless chicken breast meat or just cooked chicken pieces from a previous meal, you can turn diced chicken into a fancy meal or a chicken salad sandwich. And chicken goes with just about anything from sweet to savory flavors.
It was about 8,000 years ago that humans started domesticating red junglefowl, which was the earliest form of chicken. It is thought to have started in Southeast Asia, India, or Northern China. Scientists have found evidence of chicken being used for food before 6000 BC in these countries. Before that, they may have been kept for the eggs.
Chicken for Breakfast
We have been eating eggs for breakfast for millions of years according to the American Egg Board. They were just taken from nests in the wild and eaten raw back then. They say it was first done in Egypt or China, but nobody knows for sure. Although you cannot really count that as diced chicken, eggs do come from chickens, mostly.
Chicken a La King
My favorite chicken recipe is this easy chicken a la king made with cooked chicken breasts, garlic, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, green peas, and diced pimentos in a creamy chicken sauce. You first saute the veggies in butter over medium heat and then add flour, salt, and pepper to make the sauce thick. Whisk in the milk and broth, and you can serve over rice or pasta with some sweet and sour sauce or dark soy sauce.
Ground Diced Chicken
Another way to make diced chicken recipes is by using your food processor to mince it. Then, you can use the ground chicken for making chicken bites or chicken nuggets. The kids love them with BBQ sauce or some other delectable sauce to dip them in. Ground chicken also works for making sausages, chicken patties, meatballs, or meatloaf.
Chicken and… Anything
Over the years, we have found that chicken can go with just about anything. Many people like it fried, while others enjoy chicken with pineapple and brown sugar for a sweeter meal. You can have buffalo chicken or spicy chicken with peppers, sour chicken made with sweet and sour sauce, or tangy chicken with your favorite barbecue sauce.
Ways to Serve Diced Chicken
- Honey garlic chicken recipe with apple cider vinegar and minced garlic.
- Kung pao chicken with chicken cubes, onion powder, green onions, and roasted peanuts.
- Indian butter chicken with curry powder, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, and wild rice.
- Sweet and sour chicken with rice vinegar, pineapple chunks, and garlic powder.
- Chicken fajita soup with green chilies, taco seasoning, salsa, and red pepper flakes.
- Spicy chicken with poblano peppers, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, and lime juice.
- Italian chicken with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, sour cream, and crusty bread.
- Lemon chicken with lemon juice, chicken stock, and sesame seeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use chicken breasts?
You can use any kind of chicken for diced chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are perfect for juicy chicken with a more robust flavor. You could also use meat from the wings or drumsticks, but you do not get as much meat from them. Any cubed chicken pieces will work for any of these chicken recipes.
How big should diced chicken pieces be?
This depends on what type of meal you are cooking. If you want to cook chicken pieces for a stir fry or soup, the smaller, the better. For a tasty meal with steamed veggies and cauliflower rice, they can be about an inch square. You can make them even bigger if you want to use them for a complete meal with just chicken and dipping sauce, casserole, or stew.
How long can I store diced chicken?
According to the US Department of Agriculture, cooked chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for three to four days in an airtight container like a storage bag. You can also freeze it for up to three months if you wrap it in foil or plastic before putting it in a freezer bag. Just remember to thaw it overnight for the best flavor and texture.
Tips and Tricks
- Toss diced chicken in a baking dish with pasta sauce and zucchini noodles for an easy weeknight meal.
- My favorite recipe for diced chicken is sriracha brown sugar chicken with fresh parsley.
- Stir fry chicken in a skillet with olive oil to make it golden brown for all sorts of delicious recipes.
- You can make a delicious recipe out of just about anything with chicken for dinner tonight since it goes with everything.
- Always make sure chicken is cooked to 165 degrees F.
- The ground diced chicken will work in any recipe that calls for ground beef.
- Chicken can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for three days if cooked, but raw only lasts 24 to 36 hours.